Sunday, May 1, 2011

The World Needs More Pie meets the Diva of Do-Ahead


I have to admit that I'm pretty particular about the blogs I read; there are a lot of women out there who whine about their very full lives---get a grip---OK?  I had lunch today with Beth Howard who lost her husband 2 years ago, and has endured the grieving process all the while thinking about how she could share with others...to make a long story short, this city girl moved into the American Gothic House in Eldon, Iowa (no we don't have Peace Corp reps there) and started the Pitchfork Pie Stand, selling apple pies to tourists who pull up out of curiosity to see what all the commotion is about and to visit the American Gothic house.  Here's Beth at the Art Institute in Chicago with the former owners!
  Beth's premise is that pies bring people together; sharing makes things happen, and telling your story, in her case, grief beyond imagination, might inspire or encourage others.  She's just as nice in person as she is in the blog---I reached out and sent her an e-mail and told her I couldn't wait till her book came out, because I knew it would be terrific--she just happened to be in San Diego today and we had a lovely leisurely lunch sharing our stories.

When you are on vacation this summer, you need to stop by and meet her; or if you can't get to Iowa, go to her blog and read about all her adventures.  She'll be heading back to Iowa in a few weeks and the pie stand will open on May 20th. If you are looking for pie tips, this article in Midwest Living is terrific. 
The best tip I got today, after admitting that I'm a total flake (sorry) at pie making is that pies aren't meant to be perfect, and that isn't what pie is all about---so take that Martha Stewart!
This looks pretty darned perfect to me, and it's one of her own!  It just needs a little vanilla ice cream melting over it and I'd be a very happy girl!
I hope you had a great weekend, I'll be back tomorrow with some food adventures, until then enjoy your evening.  American Gothic, c.1930 Finest LAMINATED Print Grant Wood 12x15

No comments:

Post a Comment