Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Remembering

Early on Sunday night our son sent us a text that a friend at CNN had told him that the President would announce that Osama Bin Laden was dead.  I have to admit, death is one of those things that hits me pretty hard; I've lost parents, good friends, and other relatives way before their times.
I really can't celebrate this man's death; the glee that others seemed to feel at the news was so foreign to me, I'm not sure what to make of that.
Our daughter lived through 9/11 in Manhattan and I thank God everyday that she and her family are safe.  I guess I want to concentrate on honoring the memory of those who were lost that day....their families, their loved ones, and friends are the people that should be remembered here, not one man whose hate was more than anyone could control.

The Reverend Martin Luther King, has been mis-quoted all day long on Facebook and Twitter--if you posted that eloquent, but mis-quoted phrase, check out the Christian Science Monitor for the real thing.  This quote is from Dr. King, and feels so much better to me than saying I'm glad this man is dead.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

As you go through the week, remember that people are still mourning for those they lost on September 11th; mourning for the innocence we lost, and the sense of fear that we took on after that day.  Also remember to tell those you love how much they mean to you.  I'll be back later with some food things to talk about.  Until then, remember those you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment