Sunday, December 26, 2010

Snow Day

While we have been experiencing rain here in San Diego the East Coast is being battered by a blizzard.  I have to say that when I left Boston what seems like 100 years ago, I knew I wouldn't miss the cold weather, and I don't!  Waiting for a streetcar in sub-zero weather to get to school, and the prospect of returning to the cold once school was over didn't make me all warm and fuzzy inside.  
So, as our kids on the East Coast were readying for the storm, I didn't envy them the walk to the store to pick up milk and other supplies, and while I love hot chocolate, snow days still don't appeal to me. 




If you are having a snow day, and feeling like making some chocolate, this is one of my favorite recipes.  My friend Lora Brody says that hot chocolate  should soothe your insides with big chocolate flavor, I say it should leave a large whipped cream mustache, as well!  Enjoy!


 Totally Awesome Hot Chocolate
Serves 4

1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely grated (don't use chocolate chips, they won't melt---Scharffenberger, Ghirardelli, Callebault, or Guittiard are all great choices here)
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine all the ingredients in a 4-quart saucepan, and heat over low heat, whisking until the chocolate is melted, and simmer for 5 minutes until the chocolate is at serving temperature.  Serve the hot chocolate in mugs garnished with whipped cream, marshmallow and candy canes for stirring.

No comments:

Post a Comment