Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Going Crackers

The kitchen here at Chez Phillips is beginning to smell like Christmas; I've been making a few things to put into the freezer for the holidays, so mealtimes won't be so chaotic, and I'm also making a few gifts from the kitchen to give to friends.  
Today I took petite raisin and walnut bread from Bread and Cie here in San Diego and sliced it thinly, then spread it with melted unsalted butter, and topped the slices with raw sugar.  I baked them at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes until they were crunchy. Once the crackers have cooled, they can be stored in the freezer in zip-lock bags for up to 3 months.   These crackers will be awesome served with salty cheeses, like Stilton, Roquefort or an aged white cheddar.  





I'll buy a square piece of slate at a rock yard, then give the crackers in a small basket with a nice piece of Stilton or other blue cheese for a great gift.  I'll be back tomorrow with a few more ideas for gifts from your kitchen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment