Monday, August 16, 2010

Remembering Julia

"Life itself is a proper binge"
Julia the early years




As a teenager in Boston, I was glued to WGBH whenever this astounding woman would appear on the screen. Way too large for the small 19" set my folks had, she would hack, and sauce, and toss ingredients with the dexterity of a surgeon, making food that looked as good as the exotic names that rolled off her tongue. Julia would have been 98 on Sunday; she died 6 years ago, but her legacy lives on in the books that she wrote, those she inspired to get into their kitchens, and the DVD's that abound with her wit and wisdom.


Here are a few of her quotes that still make me smile:

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"


"In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport"


"I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate"


and last but not least to lead into this clip from the David Letterman show:

"I think every woman should have a blowtorch"

Thanks to Dr. C. I do have access to a blowtorch when needed! Enjoy the day, and I'll be back tomorrow with a few new recipes.


No comments:

Post a Comment