Nonna's Stuffed TomatoesServes 6 to 8
You will need large beefsteak tomatoes for this dish, since one half will serve one person.
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 large tomatoes, cut in half horizontally
salt and pepper
2 cups fresh bread crumbs (run a baguette through the food processor)
1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
3 garlic cloves, minced
- Film the bottom of a large skillet, with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Arrange the tomatoes in the skillet cut side up.
- In a bowl combine the crumbs, cheese, parsley, basil and garlic, stirring to blend.
- Mound the mixture onto each tomato, drizzle with olive oil and bring the heat to medium high.
- When the tomatoes start to sizzle add 1/3 cup water, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes,
- baste the tomatoes with any of the juices in the pan, cover and cook another 10 minutes.
- If the liquid in the pan is evaporated add another 1/3 cup water to the pan, and cook uncovered, basting with the liquid in the pan for another 20 minutes, until the tomatoes are tender.
- Serve the tomatoes hot or at room temperature.
- The tomatoes are delicious with grilled meats, poultry and seafood.
Corn and Green Bean Saute
1/2 pound green beans, ends snipped
6 strips bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 medium shallot, finely chopped
4 cups corn cut from the cob
salt and pepper
- Bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil, and blanch the green beans for 3 minutes. Drain and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp, remove all but 1 tablespoon of drippings, add the shallot and saute for 2 to 3 minutes until the shallot is softened.
- Add the corn and broth or 1/2 and 1/2, sauteing for 2 to 4 minutes, until the corn is tender.
- Add the green beans to the skillet, and toss to heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm.
Dr. C. and I are in Frankfort on our way to Rome, and then to Spello for the next two months. We will be heading North in a week to Lake Garda and Trentino Alto Adige (check out the map) Dr. C's bucket list of driving the Stelvio Pass is part of the trip--we'll be driving a rented classic Alfa Romeo, and I'll be filming, so stay tuned.
Until next time, Ciao for now.