Saturday, June 11, 2011

What I Learned on My Summer Vacation


As Dr. C. and I reenter the USA, I've been musing over what I've learned during the past month, and thought I'd share a bit with you in photos and words. (I've been back since Wednesday night, but we've been without internet until this morning)


 Good food doesn't have to be complicated---good ingredients makes the dish taste better; buy organic and buy local, that's what the Italians do...they buy fresh everyday.


The Europeans make wine to enhance the food that they eat; Americans, Australians, and South Africans make wine as a beverage like coca cola.....In Italy wine is part of the dining experience, salute!


See the sights with your kids, no matter what age they are; learning doesn't end with High School or college---continue to encourage them to experience new things no matter their age or circumstances. 
Make new friends; 12 years ago we walked into this enoteca in Spello and our family has enlarged by 5!  Our famiglia Angelini is a blessing, and had we not reached out or they not accepted our invitation of friendship our life would be devoid of color and zest in many ways!  Grazie Irene, Carlo, Luca, Daniela and Roberto!


Capture the moment............photos are lasting memories for all of us---this was a wedding in Cortona we happened upon when we were strolling the streets there.  What a joy to happen upon this celebration...you can't enjoy the ride if you don't get involved.  Once the requisite photos were taken for the bride and groom, everyone in the square applauded!


Appreciate history and its lessons.  Touring can be overwhelming when you are trying to pack in a lot into a short amount of time.  Seeing ancient civilizations butted up against modern society gives us insight into what destroyed the old and how we move on to the new.  Rome is a great example of this, with the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine hill flanked by Mussolini's Piazza and balcony. 



Appreciate the sacrifice that others make for the sake of art.  We lose sight of the fact that daily, artists struggle to enhance our world with their creations....music, art, dance, poetry, prose.....appreciate and acknowledge those who make the sacrifice...it is their lifes' work, and can enhance our lives. 

Lastly, love the one you're with....Dr. C. and I have been married for almost 40 years....we still enjoy seeing the world, enjoying what it has to offer, trying to laugh in the face of the unknown, and to try and get into the moment wherever we are.  I know that age, and infirmity will set in at some point, but even then, we'll still find time to enjoy what we've been given.  I'm grateful we are able to travel and see places that I never dreamed I'd be able to go when I was a kid.........As I look back on this month, I know it wouldn't have been possible if he hadn't trusted me when I said, "we need to do this."  Wishing you a joy this weekend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment