Thursday, June 23, 2011

Another Day in Paradise

My sink at 3:50 p.m.  I'd been home for about 45 minutes, trying to get a dinner together and to get some crab and corn mac and cheese together for the freezer.....I'd made the sauce for the mac and cheese yesterday but didn't have the bread crumbs, so today was the day. 

I had some zucchini that I'd picked up from Specialty Produce and wanted to try and replicate the stuffed zucchini that my sorrella, Daniela had made while we were in Spello.  So, trim the zucchini and split in half.
Take the innards out; I used a melon baller, but an apple corer would be ideal.
Chop the innards. 
In 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil saute 1 small shallot, or about 2 tablespoons of chopped onion,the chopped innards, and 1 garlic clove for 2 to 3 minutes until the veggies are softened. 
Add 2 tablespoons of tomato puree, and a handful of chopped basil. 
I microwaved the zucchini boats for 2 minutes, and they were softened.  I added about 1/2 cup of fresh bread crumbs, and added salt and pepper to taste.  The mixture should be moist, add a bit of oil if needed.  Re-stuff, and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.


At this point, they can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.  Place in an oiled pan, or on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking liner, drizzle the zucchini with a it of olive oil and bake for 20 minutes, at 350 degrees, until the filling is golden brown.    Serve warm or at room temperature. 


tomorrow I'll give you the recipe for the crab and corn mac and cheese, it's really amazing, and so simple to make.  Wishing you a great night from San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment