Sunday, January 9, 2011

Testing, 1, 2, 3...............



This week I'm beginning to test recipes for a book that will be published in the Fall of 2012.  The photo above will give you a clue to its subject matter and although I've already written the Best Slow Cooker Book Ever, I am so excited about these new recipes and the way this book will change the way you cook in your slow cooker. 

I'm often asked how long it takes to write a book, and people are stunned when I tell them that after I've written it, the book may take 2 years in production before it's published. 




Cookbook authors have very little control over what happens once the recipes are submitted.  Every author wants a book with photographs, but whether photos are a part of the book is an editorial decision by the publisher, not the author.  Since photos are expensive, it has to make economic sense to include them; I know that many people complain that the author didn't include photos, but it is not the author's decision.  I get to see the photos, make a few comments if need be, and I have in one instance said I thought that the food looked like dog food, and the food was shot again.  I'm not much of a prima dona but when something isn't right, I'll call it.  



Beginning this week, I'll be testing three days a week, and writing the rest of the time.  I'm hoping to be done testing by the end of February and the book is due at the publishers May 1.  I've got my work cut out for me, and I'll snap a few photos during the testing---not everything is a home run, so I will include the goofs as well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment