Thursday, December 9, 2010

Take 5

 


 
I went a bit crazy at Specialty Produce this week and bought a ton of cremini mushrooms; they were so perfect, and I love mushrooms, so rather than letting my good judgment get in the way, I overbought--let me rephrase that-I bought a little over a pound, but since it's only Dr. C. and myself, that's way more than I should have bought! Cremini are the brown mushrooms, shaped like button (white) mushrooms but with a meatier flavor---when they get big they are portobellos--just think of the portobello as a cremini on steroids.  I also bought gorgeous eggplants, broccoli rabe, and tiny yellow potatoes.  So today, I'm making a delicious Take 5 Chicken with Sherry Mushroom Cream Sauce; it's a great weeknight dinner, but you can also expand it for company and dress it up, too.

Chicken with Sherry Mushroom Cream Sauce
Serves 2
Remember, you can multiply this up to 4 times for company.

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 organic chicken breast halves, skin and bones removed
salt and pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped onion or shallot
1/2 pound sliced cremini or white mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped 
1/4 cup cream sherry (or you can sub. brandy, Marsala or Madeira)
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley

In a medium skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium high heat.  
Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper, and saute the chicken until it is white on all sides, and begins to turn golden.
  
At this point, the chicken will not be cooked through. 
Remove the chicken from the pan to a plate and set aside.
  
Add the onion or shallot to the pan, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onion is softened.  



Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until the liquid in the pan has evaporated.  






Add the sherry,bring to a boil, and cook 2 minutes.  Add the cream, and bring to a boil. 



Add the Chicken back to the skillet, simmering the chicken until it is cooked through, about 5 minutes. 


 
Taste the sauce for salt and pepper, and adjust.  Sprinkle the parsley into the sauce, and serve the chicken over mashed potatoes, rice, orzo or mashed butternut squash.
 
To dress up the chicken, transfer the chicken to a baking dish that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray. 
Sprinkle the chicken and sauce with 1/2 cup finely shredded Gruyere, or other imported Swiss cheese.  Bake the chicken for 20 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is golden brown.    
 



If you are interested in learning more about Specialty Produce, join me at Great News monthly when I take apart that week's  Farmer's Market Bag and prepare dishes using the fresh produce.  The best news: it's a fun morning to learn about what's fresh, and how to prepare it, and you get to take home a Farmer's Market Bag!  We also raffle off a beautiful Scanpan saute pan!  The next class is December 17th @ 10:30 a.m.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diane; so nice to meet you!
    I fell in love with your holiday cookbook last year. It was such a blessing at Thanksgiving and for our tree trimming party.

    I just decided to see if any of your recipes were available online and I found your blog - now I'm a happy follower!

    Now about this post, in particular - Sherried mushroom cream sauce is my favorite sauce!!! I use the recipe in Joy of Cooking. I imagine yours is not dissimilar, but I will try it soon.
    I once served it with lamb...scrumptious!

    And you have Portmeirion dishes. I love mine. They are pretty, and so durable. They are a bit expensive for me, but my mother-in-law always gives them as gifts for my birthday and Christmas. She is such a blessing.

    Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas!
    looking forward to to reading more on your blog,
    Jacqeline

    ReplyDelete