This is also a great Take 5 for tomorrow, if you are in the mood for soup.
Ham and Corn Chowder
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
One medium onion, finely chopped
4 ribs celery, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups finely chopped smoked ham (you can leave this out if you want to go vegetarian, or substitute cooked chicken or smoked turkey)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups corn, either fresh cut from the cob, or frozen and defrosted
2 medium potatoes, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/2 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- Melt the butter in a 4-quart saucepan, and add the onion, celery, thyme and ham, sauteing for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the flour,and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, and bring the soup to a boil, stirring until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, and cook for 12 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the cream and bring to serving temperature. Serve in small bread bowls, or in soup bowls with crusty bread.
- If you would like a lower fat soup, omit the cream/milk, and add additional chicken broth.