Sunday, August 15, 2021

Big Island Adventure

 A few weeks ago, my brother said that he and his family had an extra bedroom at their condo on the Big Island, and invited Dr. C. and I to join him.  Dr. C. was working that week, so I got to have one-on-one with my bro, his wife, and daughter.  What a gift!  Come along for the ride, food and scenery.

To go to Hawaii, you will need a vaccination card or a negative Pre-Travel Covid test.  You are then given a wristband indicating you are safe to fly.  Best to get it at your point of embarkation, lines in the islands to get a wrist band were 4 hours long.  


This was a comfort dog, he had his own first class seat---looked more like a small pony

This doesn't happen to me very often, but I was upgraded to a lay-flat seat.  Thanks United!

Flying out of Honolulu to Kona

Once I landed in Kona, brother Bob whisked me away to the Four Seasons Hualalai resort and my spot for the next 5 days.  Let me just say, this is a magical place, once you enter the gates, there really isn't a need to leave, but the Big Island holds lots of beautiful surprises.  One of those surprises is the food...given that this is a tourist destination, I sometimes think that the restaurants are just waiting to serve you expensive, mediocre food, because, frankly, you are stuck there.  Not so, here, the restaurants all have that spirit of aloha and one dinner was at my family's favorite Italian restaurant, Pueo's Osteria.
in Waikoloa Village.
The drive up the mountain



Cheesy Garlic Bread


House Made Radiatore with Vodka sauce

Three of us had the Veal Parmigiano with housemade Fettucine

Chocolate torte with caramel

Lemon Panna Cotta with fresh berries


This restaurant has a lovely wine list, and I love a good Vermentino

If you do go to the Big Island, this is a great choice for dinner, great service and food.  But, the Big Island isn't all great food, the scenery, and the aloha spirit is alive and well here after 18 months of the pandemic.  

Beach Tree Terrace, Four Seasons

Quiet pool


Beautiful skies every day

Almost like a botanical garden here



Malasadas -- Hawaiian donuts --- they are the 💣

Sunset nighttime manta ray snorkel with Ocean Encounters




Curious Monk Seal

It was a great 5 days, and I am so grateful I had the opportunity to travel once again.  Mahalo to my family and to the beautiful people on the Big Island.  



1 comment: