Monday, March 22, 2021

Chocolate Salted Caramel Chip Cookies


 
So, I've said this before, I LOVE cookies!  I have my favorites, but I'm always willing to try something new, and that new thing was some salted caramel chips from King Arthur Baking.  I waited a long time to try them since they were out of them and over the summer they don't ship them because it's too hot and they might melt.  These chips are pretty sweet, and I thought they'd probably be too sweet for a chocolate chip type cookie, so I decided to add them to a chocolate cookie---since chocolate and salted caramel are matches made in culinary heaven.  
I picked up some Lindt cocoa in Italy---it's really delicious, and I can't find it readily here.  You can use your favorite cocoa in the recipe.  This recipe is simple to put together, I used a portion scoop to shape the cookies, and then pressed the cookies down once they were on they are on the baking sheet.  

 Chocolate Salted Caramel Chip Cookies
Makes about 24 cookies

1 cup unsalted butter softened
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 to 2 cups salted caramel chips (see note)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line baking sheets with silicone, aluminum foil, or parchment. 
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat together the butter, sugars, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, powder, and vanilla.  
Add the eggs beating until smooth.  
Beat in the milk, flour, and chips, until combined.  
Using a portion scoop, or a tablespoon, form the dough into balls and place 2-inches apart on the prepared sheets. Wet your hand, and press each cookie down to flatten.
Bake 12 minutes, until the cookies are no longer shiny, and look set.  Allow them to cool on the baking sheets, then store them in an airtight container.  

Note:  Because these chips are really sweet, I went with 1 1/2 cups, I think 2 cups would be fine.  The chips don't melt, they stay solid in the cookie.  
Note:   I adapted this recipe from the King Arthur website





There they are, just waiting for a glass of milk, a cup of tea, or coffee.  I hope you are all safe a well.  Dr. C and I have been vaccinated, and that feels hopeful.  Ciao for now!



No comments:

Post a Comment