Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Italian TV

I have stated on more than one occasion that I don't watch a lot of TV, we don't have a DVR at home, and I think if we did the stress of knowing that I needed to watch all of those shows would make me nuts.  Here in Italy, I do turn it on because I get to hear the language, plus it's so entertaining.
What's on, you ask?  For one thing a lot of old US shows, like NCIS, Law and Order, CSI, the Dukes of Hazard (you haven't lived till you have heard Boss Hogg in Italian!) and old movies.  So far, I've seen Madame La Farge knitting in front of the guillotine in A Tale of Two Cities mumbling in Italian, Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler in Gone with the Wind, and several war movies I don't recognize.


Then there are the Italian Shows, lots of game shows which I don't understand at all, and then there are the shows like Paperissima, which is like the worst of American's Home Videos and if you look closely, most of these are Americani.
And then there are the food shows, the usual contests between two chefs, and then Top Chef Italia, in which one of the judges is Joe Bastianich, and American....go figure.

As I have stated before, I love the Italians, and I love the drama and the musicality of their language.  There are variety shows on, and the usual suspects like "The Voice" or some iteration of that contest, as well.  All in all, it's a lot more entertaining than what we have in the US, and I really don't miss the 24 hour news cycle.  Here they deal with what's for dinner, and don't belabor points that have been made or debunked.  Ironically Silvio Berlusconi, their disgraced Prime Minister still owns the TV here, sort of like Rupert Murdoch.  For now, I wish you a buona giornata. 

No comments:

Post a Comment