Thursday, June 20, 2013

Another Day in Rome

 
Yesterday I decided I would take the fast train to Rome from Foligno, a town about 10 miles away.  It took 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to the train center of Rome, Termini.  Termini is the hub for the trains and Metro: it's big, noisy and crowded, but don't let the guide books steer you out of here, the Metro in Rome is great, and can get you to and from a lot of destinations in less time than a hot taxi. 
I bought the Metro BIG ticket for E6; it's an all day pass and you can ride the bus or the Metro for 24 hours.  A bargain!
I decided that I wanted to go back to Piazza del Popolo to see the Church of Santa Maria del Popolo (the Church of the Madonna Mary of the people)  There is artwork in this sad church from Raphael, Bernini, Bramante, Pinturicchio, and Caravaggio to name a few.  The metro line stops right at the church, and I was inside within 15 minutes of arriving in Rome. Many of the Italian churches today feel sad and neglected.  Santa Maria is dark, yet it has some incredible works of art that should make it feel special.  If you remember the movie Angels and Demons, this church was one of the churches that was featured. 

Painting by Raphael


Bernini sculpture


Bramante's altar

Raphael's mosaics

Even the floors are interesting


This church has more skull and crossbones in it for a holy place, I still can't figure out why

If I read Latin, maybe that would help!


Pinturicchio

Pinturicchio

As long as I was here, I decided to stop in at Noi Salon and say hi
So hot even some of the fountains were dry!
Piazza di Spagna


The Via Condote--all the designer shops
I even took the Metro to Mecca--just kidding it's Eataly in Rome---4 floors of amazing Italian food---unlike the one in NYC, they wouldn't allow me to take photos
Then it was back to Termini to catch my ride back home.  Of course there are 4 McDonald's in the train station and the biggest mall ever on the underground Metro floors!  Get a load of the offerings at MickeyD's--- I will never look at Brie the same way again!

As I said, this place is crowded and noisy, but it is the place to connect in Italy.  Many guide books warn you that there is a good possibility things will be stolen or you will be a victim of a pick pocket, and although there are a lot of people here, there is also a LOT of security here.  Just be careful, and watch your stuff--you'd do that in any big city in the States.  I'm back home again in Spello. As I write this, I have a bag of ice on my ankle. I stepped off a cobblestone in Spello the wrong way, and came down hard on it--it's not broken, but it is sure sprained.  Hoping ice and Advil will lessen the pain.  Wishing you a buona serata from Spello. 



No comments:

Post a Comment