Sunday, July 24, 2011

Shrimply Irresistable


I've loved shrimp as long as I can remember; I could wax poetically about shrimp dishes I've loved just like Bubba in the movie Forest Gump, when he tells Forest how many ways you can make shrimp.
I'm particularly fond of shrimp salads and shrimp cocktail in the summertime.  Shrimp arrive in our markets here in California frozen; the shrimp that may look fresh in the case, is really frozen and defrosted.  When buying, buy the shrimp that's frozen, at least that way you'll know you're defrosting it.  I always have shrimp in the freezer, and today was one of those days when I felt like a shrimp salad, and had some leftover lobster roll buns from Bread & Cie here in San Diego.  So, Dr. C and I feasted for lunch, drowning our sorrows when the Padres lost to the Phillies.....it really is our losing season. 

 Shrimp and Dill Salad
Serves 4
1 rib celery, finely diced
1 scallion, finely chopped
2 teaspoon fresh snipped dill (1/2 teaspoon dried)
1/3 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, cooked and chopped
grated zest of 1/2 lemon (about 1 teaspoon)
1/4 to 1/3 cup mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste

  1. In a large bowl, combine the ingredients, adding more mayonnaise if desired.  
  2. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve on a bed of lettuce or in a toasted roll.  
A toasted roll really perks this up


As I tell Dr. C. you cannot rush a toasted roll!
Shrimp Roll with Potato Salad....ahhh summer!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment