Friday, March 27, 2020

Day 11, Slow Cooker Pulled Pork


Into day 12 here at Casa Phillips.  I've been feeding a sourdough starter every day (don't ask) I have no idea what it will turn out to be, all I can say is I've transferred it to several different (larger) containers because it keeps growing.  I've been following a lot of cooks on Facebook, and they actually name their starters--I haven't gotten that far, since I haven't bonded with this particular food. Dr. C. thinks we ought to claim it on our income taxes.   
Tomorrow night, our kids will be able to come over for dinner, they have been self-quarantined like we have, and so I thought I'd cook a pork shoulder for pulled pork, and they can have the leftovers, since this baby is over 8 pounds.  
8 pounds of pork perfection from Siesels Meats
Several days ago, I made a stop at my favorite meat market here in San Diego.  They are still open and stocked up.  I'm trying to support local businesses here, and bought the pork that I would need.
Figure that you will get 1/2 the amount of usable meat once your have cooked it.  The rest is water, and fat that melts off.  
This is my rub, it's half rub, half brown sugar.  I've tried to clone the one used at Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Alabama.  

Fill the bottom of the slow cooker with onions; you don't need any liquid, you should get 4 cups of liquid once the pork is done.
Rub this baby on the outside, and inside.  I don't do BBQ sauce till I serve it, since BBQ sauce will be too diluted after cooking.  (Remember that 4 cups of liquid)
Tight fit
The Cover just barely fits---I wrote a book on Slow Cooking, and I tell people NEVER do this.  I confess I did it!

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Serves 6 to 8

Two medium onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon salt
One 6 to 8-pound boneless pork shoulder

  1. Put the onions into the slow cooker.   
  2. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic salt, brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, celery seeds and salt.  
  3. Rub all over the pork shoulder, and set on top of the onions.  Cook on high for 6 hours, or on low for 12 hours.  At the end of the cooking time, remove from the slow cooker.  
  4. When cool enough to handle, remove all the fat, and shred the pork.  Serve on potato rolls with BBQ sauce and slaw. 
  5. Cook's Note:  Once the meat is shredded, you can store it in the fridge for 3 days, or freeze for up to 6 months.  
  6. You can use the meat for tacos, soups, pasta sauce, sandwiches, and casseroles.  If you want to reheat in BBQ sauce, you can do that on low for 4 hours, high for 2 hours.  I'd use about 3 cups of sauce for 8 pounds of meat---you will get 8 cups of shredded pork from 8 pounds of meat---translating to 4 pounds of usable meat.  
  7. There will also be at least 4 cups of pork broth, which you can freeze as well. Cool the broth, refrigerate, scrape off the fat, and then freeze. This would be amazing for bean soups.  
falling apart tender

Remove all the fat, and shred or cut into chunks


Everyone has their favorite BBQ sauce, and far be it from me to dissuade you from your fave, ours is Big Bob Gibson's red sauce, which we love.  

Today is take out Thursday, and we are trying to figure out what we want to eat, while this pork is simmering away.  Stay safe and stay home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment