Thursday, November 26, 2015

The Turnips

At Thanksgiving there are certain dishes that we associate with the holiday, whether it's the cranberry relish your Aunt would bring, the stuffing, the sweet potato casserole or the Poppin' Fresh crescent rolls, we all have that dish we need to have on the table or it wouldn't be Thanksgiving. 
At my mom's house it was mashed turnips, and I have to admit that it really wasn't my favorite food on the table.  Some years she would just mash them, and serve them smothered with copious amounts of butter, or some years (and these weren't my favorites) she'd mix them into the mashed potatoes. 
When I began to make my own Thanksgiving dinners, I would leave out the turnips.  I know they are really good for you, but they didn't belong on my table.  After my mom died, I asked  my brothers if the turnips were on their Thanksgiving table, and they both said, "we don't like turnips."  Then, I got it; the turnips were my mom's favorite dish. 
As we celebrate Thanksgiving this year, I wish you all a joyous day filled with the love of family and friends.  Aloha and Mahalo. 


No comments:

Post a Comment