Keep in mind I'm working with metric measurements, Celsius temperature in the oven.....in essence flying by the seat of my pants....fortunately, I don't think you can ruin this one. Use a golden olive oil, either the Cipolloni that they sell at Enoteca Properzio , or one from Umbria or Tuscany--one that isn't too strong in flavor. Here goes:
Olive Oil CakeMakes one 12 to 13-inch round
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
grated zest of 2 medium oranges
juice of 2 medium oranges (about 1/3 cup)
1/3 cup olive oil
2 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons brandy or grappa (optional) ---original recipe called for 1 liter!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and coat the inside of a 12 to 13-inch round cake pan with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, zest, juice and oil, stirring to blend. Let stand about 10 minutes, for the zest to release some oil into the mixture.
- Add the flour and baking powder, and stir until blended.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to rest 10 minutes, then invert onto a rack and cool. Serve the cake dusted with powdered sugar, or plain.