Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Dear Elizabeth Minchilli; Thank you for Pistachio Cake

 Dear Elizabeth, 

Thank you for your blog, your generosity in sharing your homes in Rome and Umbria, your recipes, the photos, all make armchair traveling so satisfying, especially during this time of quarantine. A few years ago, you posted a pistachio cake recipe on your blog, and although my intentions were to make it immediately, I finally made it tonight since I dug out the pistachio flour from the freezer.  What a delicious treat! Thank you again. I'll preface this by saying, I'm not a baker, but I do love a good bake.  The recipe called for making two loaves, but since the loaf pans I have aren't the same size, I figured I'd try and make it a bundt cake, and it's glorious!  I'm so grateful for your generosity in sharing your favorite places, foods, and your writing and hope one day to meet you in person when we are finally in Italy again.  Gratefully yours, D

Elizabeth Minchilli's Pistachio Cake (adapted)
Makes one 9-inch bundt, or two loaves

The original recipe called for yogurt, I didn't have any so subbed in sour cream, and it's delicious.  

11 ounces salted butter 
2 cups sugar
8 large eggs
3 tablespoons pistachio paste (see link)
1 cup plain yogurt, or sour cream or creme fraiche
1/3 cup pistachio flour (see link)
2 cups 00 flour, or all-purpose (I used 00)
2 tablespoons baking powder
confectioners' sugar for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and coat the inside of a 9-inch bundt pan, or two loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.  (I use Baker's Joy--never fails)
In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.  
Add the eggs, one at a time, then add the pistachio paste and yogurt or sour cream.  
Add the flours, and baking powder, and beat until blended.  
Transfer to the prepared pan, and bake for 1 hour, until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.  
Cool on a wire rack for exactly 10 minutes, then turn out on the rack to cool completely.
Sift powdered sugar over the cooled cake and serve.  





This piece was still quite warm, but none-the-less, it was buttery, and delicious, with a crispy exterior.  
Now that I've made the investment in the pistachio flour and pistachio paste, I may just go into business making these cakes, it's that easy!  I do plan to make another and freeze it to have on hand.  This one will go quickly.  Once again, thanks to Elizabeth Minchilli, if you aren't following her and her daughter Sophie on Instagram and getting their blogs, you are missing out.  Ciao for now.  






No comments:

Post a Comment