Saturday, October 10, 2020

Quarantine Wonton Soup, Still Don't Know What Day It Is

 

Several weeks ago, the website Eater wrote about a company delivering freshly made Chinese dumplings to your door.  It didn't take me long to order a variety of gyoza, and wontons.  
The pork gyoza were delicious, we ate them too fast for me to photograph---let me stop here and say, I salute all the bloggers out there, who can style their dishes, and take the perfect photo before digging into the dish they've been craving all day---I'm not there.  Half the time, the dish is 1/2 eaten, and we try to mash it back together again.
Anyway, when looking into the refrigerator last night I saw I had some forgotten baby bok choy, and the remains of a Costco chicken, so I decided to make wonton soup for lunch, using the Hong Kong-style shrimp and pork wontons that we had ordered. The result was awesome, so I thought I'd share it. Above are the frozen Hong Kong wontons---Hong Kong-style are made with an egg noodle, a little richer than the plain wontons made with flour and water.

Quarantine Wonton Soup


Serves 6
6 wontons per person---this is a guesstimate
1 tablespoon sesame oil--plus more for garnish if desired
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon grated ginger
2 baby bok choy, thinly sliced
8 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked shredded or chopped chicken (optional)
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil, and keep on a simmer. 
In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat, add the garlic, ginger, and bok choy and saute till the bok choy is wilted.  


Add the chicken broth, chicken (if using), and soy sauce.  

Simmer for 15 minutes.  
Cook the (frozen) wontons in the salted water for 4 minutes.  Using a slotted spoon, arrange 6 wontons in each soup bowl, and ladle in the soup.  Garnish with a drizzle of sesame oil if desired.   

So the verdict: a winner!  I will order these little guys again---we still have a couple of bags (they come with about 30 in each bag) and the flavors are fresh and delicious.  If you are in LA or San Diego in their delivery zone, this is a great option.  
I usually don't cook Asian or Mexican because there are so many great Asian and Mexican options here, but since we aren't eating out yet, I can certainly fill in with these guys delivering to my front door.  
Stay safe, stay well, and wear a mask.  






No comments:

Post a Comment