Thursday, June 18, 2020

Quarantine Kitchen, Gaining the Covid 19


Cookies are my downfall; if they are here, I'm like Cookie Monster, I'll eat them all.  Which brings me to the Covid-19...those pounds we are packing on by baking and cooking enormous amounts of food.  Recently I've been on the lookout for a really delicious sugar cookie---I want a cookie I don't have to roll out, soft, chewy, buttery, and satisfying.  I've tried a few recipes, then ran across this one on the Cooks Illustrated website.  I made then once using unsalted butter, and they left me flat, so the next time I made them I used salted butter that was leftover from an early Costco run when they were out of unsalted butter.  These are my cookie; everything I was looking for, and I really can't stop eating them. They will make an amazing ice cream sandwich cookie, too.  That was my motivation for trying some recipes, I'd been to a restaurant in LA with our son who was doing a review, and the best part of the meal was the ice cream sandwich made with some amazing sugar cookies sandwiched with strawberry ice cream.  So with Father's Day around the corner, and July 4th coming up, these are the perfect cookies.  

Soft Sugar Cookies
Makes 2 dozen

1 cup salted butter softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and line baking sheets with silicone, aluminum foil, or parchment. 
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until the mixture comes together. 
Add the flour and baking powder, and stir until blended.  
Roll the dough into 1 1/2-inch balls, roll in the sugar, and place on the baking sheets about 2 inches apart.  

Using the bottom of a drinking glass, flatten the cookies, and bake for 7 minutes, reverse the baking sheets and bake an additional 7 minutes, until they are golden brown around the edges, and just set.  


Cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.  
Cook's Note:  If you only have unsalted butter you will need 1 teaspoon of salt.  
I hope you are all safe and well.  Until next time, wishing you a great weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment