Sunday, April 19, 2020

Day 35, Quarantine Kitchen, Pantry Dinner

Whimsy; are you finding it during this time of social distancing?  Dr. C. and I took a walk today and passed this palm tree, and I laughed out loud.  I'm not sure when I laughed out loud last, but this tickled me.  Other interesting occurrences have included a bee swarm that decided it loved our Princess Flower; they eventually left for greener pastures.
We have also had a few monarch butterflies hatch in the yard, which gives me hope and joy.

I thought tonight would be take-out Sunday, but we decided that a pantry dinner would be the ticket.
Many Friday nights I will make either pasta with clam sauce, or linguine with scampi.
Tonight it was clam sauce; our favorite fish purveyor is closed, so no fresh clams. This dinner is ready in the time it takes to cook the pasta.  The recipe is easily halved, if there are only 2 of you, or you can multiply upwards, but, NEVER put cheese on seafood pasta. 

Pasta With Clam Sauce
Serves 4 

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
pinch red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 dried basil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup white wine
2 cans minced or chopped clams
1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
salt and pepper
1 pound linguine, cooked 2 minutes short of al dente

In a large skillet, heat the oil and butter, add the onion, garlic, red pepper, lemon zest, oregano, and basil, and saute until the onion is translucent.  
                       Add the lemon juice, wine, parsley and clams.  Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.  
                       When the pasta is cooked, drain, and toss with the sauce in the skillet, and serve.
If you can get Manila clams, you'll need about 30, add them to the sauce, and cook until they open.  Discard any unopened clams.  And you must swear you will NEVER to put cheese on seafood pasta.
As we enter another week, I'm thankful for so much; we continue to be well, and we continue to follow the guidelines for social distancing and wearing masks. Each day brings me new awareness of how our lives have changed, and will change in the coming months.  I'm grateful for those who are practicing social distancing to protect themselves and others.  Stay well and stay home. 

4 comments:

  1. Diane! This is a favorite, but I confess I’ve never made it. I want to now, but is there a nonalcoholic substitute for the wine? I can use it, if not. Btw, just made the Apple Cider Donut Cake last night! It is fabulous, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd leave it out, Betsy, or use use a bit more lemon juice. It's not critical. Sorry about the no cider in the cake---the original had you cooking cider and apples, and basically making apple sauce out of it---who has time? Well, we all do, but I'm glad you liked it. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, good to know I can do that! Not your fault on the recipe; mine for not reading it first! In fact, it look me so long to make it because then I didn’t have milk one day, then baking soda... I’m out of practice! But I actually love making apple sauce with Apple cider, so next time, I’ll make a big batch and do the cake too! Your recipes are flawless as always (too bad I am not 🙂).

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much, Betsy,I hope you and Rob are well.

    ReplyDelete