Monday, December 16, 2013

Believing in Miracles


At this time of year, most of us are pretty stressed with holiday preparations, and working to get that one last project finished before we celebrate with family and friends.  Push into the season news of a friend's husband who is ill with cancer, or the joy of a cousin's wife giving birth to a healthy baby girl, and we don't know whether to laugh or cry. Psychologists say this is one of the most trying times of the year for people; we deal with a lot of happy and sad.  We miss those who aren't with us, and we celebrate with those who are still here.
For me, I look for the little miracles that happen everyday.  Many would argue with me that they aren't really "miracles" in the true sense of the word, but I would say anytime we can see something as a gift, it's a miracle.  It could be the parking space right in front of Whole Foods, or it could be the amazing report a friend with brain cancer got from her doctors at Duke last week. If I couldn't look for the miracle, then I would lose hope, and for me, believing that there is hope is a huge part of who I am. 
No matter what your faith journey, the miracle of each day is a gift.  Make it count, make it matter, and make sure to tell those you love that they matter.  When I spoke with my friend whose husband has cancer, I told her "I don't know what to say"---me, a writer, with nothing to say.  What I did say was that I love them, and what I am doing is praying for them.  The miracle for them is that they are surrounded by the best medical care and friends who care deeply for them, that gives me hope.
As you celebrate the New Year, remember that miracles are all around you, you just have to take the time to look for them.  Take time to inhale, and look around and find the little miracles that happen to us each day.  Whether it's the wonder of a child seeing the lights of the tree, or the company of good friends, make the most of the time you have and count each minute as a gift.


Webster defines a miracle as: a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment