Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Sacred Ground

Our family spent Christmas together in Woodbury, CT about 15 miles from Newtown, CT.   On Christmas Day, my son and I drove to Newtown, CT to lay a memorial for those lost in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.  The outpouring of support, and the reverence of the people viewing the memorials, was heartbreaking and inspiring, all at the same time.  It was hard to describe the scene, even the photos don't do this justice.  






 Memorials from all over the world were laid at this corner in the middle of town.  Spanning all 4 corners, it was overwhelming at times to read the tributes. 



 This was over 2000 tweets from teens around the country. 











What struck me the most, is that I now know the names of all those who were lost, as if they were family--I've heard their names so many times over the past week, and reading these tributes made them even more real.  My son and I wondered what would become of the sheer volume of these notes, candles, stuffed animals and cards, and the town will have them gathered and processed into soil that will serve in the foundation of a future permanent memorial.  These tributes will become sacred ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment